Call for Artists 2021
The Museum of Early Trades & Crafts (METC) is inviting New Jersey artists to submit artwork for an exhibition held in the METC Education Annex in October 2021. Artists are invited to create original fine artwork on canvas material that will be provided. Each banner will be an original, one-of-a-kind work of art using any medium of the artist’s choice reflecting the theme of “Hope.”
The canvas banners are 24’W x 36’H and will be on display in the Museum’s Education Annex windows for a period of three months starting on October 27, 2021 and ending February 28, 2022. At the end of the exhibition, METC will host a reception where the banners will be sold and/or auctioned. METC selected ‘Hope’ as its first 2021 Artists’ Showcase theme, recognizing that the COVID-19 crisis has touched the lives of every individual across the globe. Although the pandemic continues, we see the resiliency of people shining through even the darkest days toward better and safer times and this gives us all Hope. We invite artists to produce a work that reflects this theme.
The banners will be a similar style to those from Madison Arts DDC/MACA Sidewalk Gallery from 2013
Details & Rules
- All artwork must be the artist’s original work and must be the unique use of the image.
- Submissions for consideration must be received by April 30, 2021. We will only accept submissions that are accompanied by sketches and detailed information as outlined on the Entry form attached. The Curator of Collections and Executive Director will accept only 15 submissions at their discretion. Submission of artwork does not guarantee acceptance or inclusion in the exhibit.
- We reserve the right to refuse any banner that does not conform to the above standards. The selection committee has final say on determining the eligibility of the artwork.
- All final work must be completely prepared in the above manner for the exhibition and must be received by October 15, 2021.
- Artists may leave a small border around the work so that the image can be easily stretched over a frame; this is not a requirement.
- No commercial advertising.
- Submitting an entry to this Show constitutes an Agreement with all conditions of this Exhibition and Prospectus. The Museum of Early Trades & Crafts (METC) assumes the right to photograph and use accepted work for documentation, education, or publicity purposes and reserve the right to reject any work not conforming to this Agreement.
- Artists will be notified by end of May if they are chosen for the exhibit and will be provided with instructions for picking up canvas banners.
- At the end of the exhibition, the artwork will be for sale and/or auction.
Artists must be over 18 years of age.
The canvas banners are 24”W x 36”H and will be displayed vertically. Our website contains samples of other artwork created on canvas banners as part of a different community project for reference. The banners for this project will be one-sided.
METC will assume responsibility for the artwork once it is on our premises, signed for by a staff member and entered into our collections catalog.
Selected artists will be notified by June 1, 2021 when the banners are available for pickup. Banners must be submitted and returned to METC complete and dry by October 15. Details regarding the sale and auction will be provided to artists whose work is chosen for the exhibition. It is requested that artists be present at the preview and auction
Final artwork must be delivered no later than October 15, 2021. (Instructions for delivery and shipping work will be forwarded on acceptance.). Accepted artwork must remain on view for the duration of the exhibition.
The sales/auction price will be divided between the artist (60%) METC (40%).
A significant marketing campaign will be developed to promote the artists’ work and the program. Print, digital, and social media will be used extensively to promote you and your work.
In order to be considered for this program, artists must submit the following.
- A drawing, sketch or photograph of the proposed submission design.
- Resume, bio, and artist statement.
- Completed Entry Form (see attached)
- Artist’s website or digital samples of some of the artist’s previous work
(All this information must be sent digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Sidewalk Gallery Art Show 2021” in the subject line.)
For additional information email questions to email@example.com
No submissions will be considered without completing our entry form (pdf) and all accompanying materials.